St. Patrick’s Day is right around the corner! I have zero Irish in my background however, since marrying into an Irish family I guess it’s time I put forward some Irish spirit! Since you won’t find me making corned beef and cabbage, here is my first attempt at something festive, Chocolate Peppermint Macaroons!
(As I’m writing this I’m wondering why are mint flavored foods part of St. Patrick’s Day anyway? Is it the green that comes to mind with mint?)
These macaroons are totally easy to make and unlike traditional macaroons, they are 100% vegan! (gluten free too!) Weighing in at under 100 calories each, these little cookies are a healthy way to satisfy a sweet tooth!
Recipe adapted from Rawmanda.
- ⅔ cup old fashioned oats or oat flour
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2½ tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup mini chocolate chips
- In a high speed blender such as a vitamix, pulse oats until a powdery flour is formed.
- Transfer to a medium bowl and add coconut flakes, maple syrup, peppermint extract and melted coconut oil. Mix until well combined. Stir in mini chocolate chips.
- Tightly pack dough into a tablespoon sized scoop and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake on 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden on the edges and firm to the touch.