Cut romaine hearts in half and place on a hot grill for a summertime twist on salad!
Lightly crisped and topped with garden ripe tomatoes, olives, salty cheese and a dijon vinaigrette creates a meal in itself!
Romaine lettuce is thought of as one of the most nutrient dense varieties of lettuce around. It is high in vitamin K, chlorophyll, vitamin A, vitamin C and folic acid. Romaine lends a nice crunch to salads or can be added to soups and stews in place of other leafy greens. Grilling it is my new favorite way to eat it!
Make sure lettuce is dry, placing freshly washed lettuce on the grill will result in a soggy mess!
- 4 romaine hearts, washed and dried
- ¼ cup parmesan or asiago cheese (optional)
- ½ cup large black olives
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- For vinaigrette:
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Place romaine cut side down on a medium hot grill. Grill until lightly crisp and grill lines appear. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk together vinaigrette ingredients slowly adding olive oil.
- Assemble salads with olives, tomatoes and cheese.
- Drizzle with vinaigrette and enjoy!
For a vegan version, omit cheese and add with any toppings desired such as nutritional yeast, avocados or sunflower seeds!
Get in those grilling days while they last!!!