Presenting…the new BeginWithin Nutrition blog!!!
Big things (well, big for me!) happened in the past few days! My new blog was launched (many thanks to Karie Sullivan!), I hit over 500 Facebook likes and Finding Vegan shared my Toasted Coconut Chocolate Cream Pie recipe sending my stats soaring!
To celebrate, I baked a cake! A carrot cake to be exact, my favorite kind…
Scented with orange zest and topped with a maple cashew cream frosting, pure bliss!
I definitely will be making this again for Easter!
Mom, I saved you a piece this time!
Recipe adapted from Oh She Glows
- 1.5 cups carrots, shredded
- 1 tablespoon flax seed meal
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¾ cup soy milk (or milk of your choice)
- ⅓ cup canola oil or light olive oil
- 1.5 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1.5 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup raisins (soaked for 10 minutes and drained)
- ¼ cup toasted shredded coconut, unsweetened
- Frosting Ingredients: ¾ cup raw cashews (soaked in water for 2 hours and rinsed), 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil, 4 tablespoons pure maple syrup, 3 tablespoons orange juice, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, pinch sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or coat a 10 inch round cake pan with cooking spray, set aside. Note: the original recipe used a 8×8 pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine shredded carrots, flax seed meal, maple syrup, soy milk, canola oil, vanilla extract, apple cider vinegar and orange zest. Mix together and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cinnamon, ground ginger, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and gently stir until just combined. Fold in raisins and toasted coconut.
- Pour into pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool using a wire rack.
- To make frosting: combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Note: Frosting will get thicker when chilled in the refrigerator.
- Frost and enjoy!!!
Please help me keep the momentum going!
Share, Pin, Tweet or Print the recipes!
Most importantly, thank you for reading