I was flipping through my mom’s Martha Stewart magazine and this recipe caught my eye. Wintertime has me craving root vegetables, and sweet potatoes are the perfect fix! I altered the original recipe a little by decreasing the amount of farro and adding raw purple cabbage for crunch and to boost the nutritional content. Served warm, this salad makes a comforting and wholesome side dish. You can also top with spicy chickpeas to make it a vegan main course.
A generous amount of dill is used in this salad. Dill is wonderful for aiding in digestion. According to “The Encyclopedia of Healing Foods” it decreases flatulence and digestive disturbance. The active compounds in dill are found in it’s oil. They are carvone, limonene, and anethofuran. These compounds have anticancer and antimicrobial effects as well as promoting liver detoxification by activating an enzymatic reaction protecting the body from carcinogens. All this power comes from a tiny, delicate herb! Nature is amazing 🙂
Long story short…add dill to salad dressings, hummus, soups, everything!
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Divide sweet potatoes and garlic between 2 baking sheets. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat and spread into a single layer. Roast, flipping once, until sweet potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add farro, bring to a boil, then simmer and cook until tender, around 30-35 minutes. Drain water, place in a large bowl and drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, toss to coat, season with sea salt and pepper.
- When cool enough to handle, remove roasted garlic from peels and mash with lemon zest and lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Add garlic/lemon mixture, sweet potatoes, dill and purple cabbage to farro and stir until well combined.
- Serve warm or cool, enjoy 🙂
- Can Babies Eat Garlic? Benefits & Safety - 23 September 2023
- When Can Babies Have Oatmeal? A Complete Guide - 22 September 2023
- Adrenal Cocktail: Boost Energy, Calm and Nourish the Adrenal Glands! - 20 September 2023