It’s a rainy, lazy day and I’m stuck inside with a sick toddler…what to do, what to do?
Not just any muffins, superfood dense Chocolate Chia Pumpkin Muffins!
Kristi, one of my best friends who shares my love of pumpkin and vitamix muffins gave me this recipe found over at www.vitamix.com. I adjusted the ingredients a tad, upping the fiber and omega 3 content by using chia gel in place of eggs. However, if you prefer eggs or don’t have chia seeds go ahead and use eggs instead! I also lessened the sugar content and used pure maple syrup in place of white sugar. These muffins have just a hint of sweetness and have a taste similar to pancakes! I changed up the sugar using maple syrup instead, and added less than recommended.
Chia seeds are great, especially for kids! Here’s why!
- High levels of Omega 3 fatty acids, important for brain development
- Contain fiber, no one likes a constipated kid
- Are a high-quality plant protein
- Contain iron, magnesium and calcium
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds + 6 tablespoons warm water
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup pumpkin home cooked or canned
- ¼ cup soy milk or almond milk
- ¼-1/2 cup pure maple syrup depending on how sweet you like them!
- 1¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅓ cup mini-chocolate chips I used enjoy life chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray or line 2 mini-muffin tin and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together chia seeds and warm water. Set aside for 10 minutes or until a gel is formed.
- In a blender or bowl with a hand-held mixer, blend together chia gel, olive oil, pumpkin, milk and maple syrup until well combined.
- In a large bowl, sift whole wheat pastry flour, salt, baking soda and spices.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and gently stir until just combined (don’t over stir). Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin tins ¾ way full and bake for 10-15 minutes (20-25 if using a regular sized muffin tin) or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool and enjoy 🙂
- Can Babies Eat Garlic? Benefits & Safety - 23 September 2023
- When Can Babies Have Oatmeal? A Complete Guide - 22 September 2023
- Adrenal Cocktail: Boost Energy, Calm and Nourish the Adrenal Glands! - 20 September 2023