Even though the warm weather has finally arrived I am not ready to let go of soup! Nothing tastes better after a long day! Soups are also a great way to get in a ton of vegetables! This soup shouts spring with the asparagus, lemon and fresh basil! Asparagus is one of the first vegetables to sprout out of the thawed ground. It provides a good source of dietary fiber, beta-carotene, B vitamins, calcium, iron, zinc, and the list goes on and on! You get the point; asparagus is downright just good for you!
Recipe adapted from “The Moosewood Restaurant” cookbook
- Olive Oil
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 1 quart low sodium veggie broth
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups water
- ¼ cup short grain brown rice
- 1 ½ cups frozen baby lima beans
- 1 ½ cups frozen peas
- 1 bunch asparagus
- juice from ½ lemon
- ½ cup fresh basil more for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pour a few generous glugs of olive oil into a large soup pot.
- Over medium low heat, sauté onions, carrots, celery and garlic for about 10 minutes.
- Add veggie broth, water, brown rice and tomatoes. Bring to a boil then add baby lima beans and asparagus, return to a boil.
- Turn down heat and cook until rice is tender.
- Add salt, lemon juice, peas and basil. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with basil and enjoy 🙂
- Can Babies Eat Garlic? Benefits & Safety - 23 September 2023
- When Can Babies Have Oatmeal? A Complete Guide - 22 September 2023
- Adrenal Cocktail: Boost Energy, Calm and Nourish the Adrenal Glands! - 20 September 2023