Yup, the summer is here. And for most of us who live on the Cape that means a billion hour work weeks and absolutely no time to get anything done! Especially sit down to a meal! I struggle to pack nutritious lunches for Shaye to enjoy between jobs. To solve this dilemma, I jumped on the mason jar meal band wagon! They are so easy to make and taste so good! All it takes is a little prep time and some creativity! They are the perfect thing to grab-and-go when pressed for time.
This week I made two different variations; Greek Salad and Asian Edamame Salad. Depending what you put in them, they will stay fresh in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
Follow these simple directions for creating your own!
1. To keep vegetables fresh, put the salad dressing in the jar first.
2. Layer ingredients from the heaviest to the lightest. For instance; in the greek salad I added the salad dressing first then layered crumbled goat cheese, kalamata olives, chick peas then added my fresh veggies (cucumbers, tomatoes, scallions) and lastly the spring salad greens. For the Asian Edamame Salad I layered the dressing, shredded red cabbage, chopped sugar peas, shredded carrots, edamame, cucumbers and lastly the greens.
3. Twist on the top, place in refrigerator and enjoy on the go!
oh yeah, don’t forget to pack a fork and bowl!
Get funky with it!
Here are two salad dressing to try out!
- Greek Salad Dressing:
- Juice from 1/2 of a lemon
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder or one clove fresh garlic
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Asian Ginger Dressing:
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons tamari or bragg’s amino acids
- 2 tablespoons honey or agave
- 1/4 cup water
- Add all ingredients to a blender
- Add Greek Salad Dressing or Asian Ginger Dressing
- Mix well and enjoy 🙂
- Cucumber Lemon Water: Discover 12 Surprising Benefits - 2 October 2023
- Coffee with Protein Powder: How to Make Proffee for Weight Loss - 2 October 2023
- What Tea is Good for Acid Reflux? Discover the 6 Best Teas! - 30 September 2023