Rise and Shine Vegan Lemon Chia Seed Scones!
…the perfect addition to any Easter brunch!
…less fat and half the calories of regular scones!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup oat flour made from old-fashioned oats, pulsed in a blender
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- ¼ cup organic cane sugar
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil solid form, not liquified
- ⅓ cup soy milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- For the Glaze:
- ¾ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1½ tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine whole wheat flour, oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, chia seeds, and organic cane sugar in a bowl. Mix in coconut oil in until the mixture is crumbly. Stir in soy milk, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons lemon zest until a dough forms. (add an extra tablespoon or two of soy milk if needed)
- Transfer dough to a bowl and knead. Gently roll into a ball and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Press into a circle about 1 inch thick; cut into 10 wedges. Place scones onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven until edges are lightly golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Mix confectioners’ sugar, 1½ tablespoon lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon lemon zest in a small bowl. Drizzle or spread frosting on top of scones while still warm.
These were a hit in our house last weekend… hope you like them too 🙂
Calories: 188kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0.002g | Sodium: 217mg | Potassium: 114mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 34IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 56mg | Iron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Latest posts by Cristina Cavanaugh RD LDN (see all)
- Cucumber Lemon Water: Discover 12 Surprising Benefits - 2 October 2023
- Coffee with Protein Powder: How to Make Proffee for Weight Loss - 2 October 2023
- What Tea is Good for Acid Reflux? Discover the 6 Best Teas! - 30 September 2023