Lentil Bolognese cooked in a crock pot and ready to eat when you get home! A healthy and simple weeknight meal!
Brown lentils provide a “meaty” consistency and the mushrooms lend an umami flavor making this a savory and satisfying meal for a cold winter’s night!
One nutrient essential for pregnancy is iron. Pregnant women should aim for at least 3 servings of iron rich foods a day. Lentils are a great vegan source of iron. Other sources include quinoa, beans, blackstrap molasses, pumpkin seeds and spirulina. Eating iron rich foods along with foods high in vitamin C help the body absorb iron. In this recipe, high iron lentils are paired with tomatoes, which contain vitamin C. A perfect combo!
Recipe adapted from Real Simple.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot minced (or ½ onion)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 12 oz container white mushrooms chopped
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup organic tomato paste
- 1 28 oz. can diced organic tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ teaspoon Italian seasonings
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add shallot and sauté until translucent. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant. Stir in celery, carrots, mushrooms and sauté until mushrooms have cooked down and are slightly golden. Add wine and simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed. Transfer mixture to a crock pot.
- Add lentils, vegetable broth, tomato paste, canned diced tomatoes and seasonings. Cook on high for 4 hours or until lentils are soft.
- Serve over pasta, zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash 🙂
- Can Babies Eat Garlic? Benefits & Safety - 23 September 2023
- When Can Babies Have Oatmeal? A Complete Guide - 22 September 2023
- Adrenal Cocktail: Boost Energy, Calm and Nourish the Adrenal Glands! - 20 September 2023