I am happy to say a dear friend of mine is back from summer vacation!
My crock pot!
Oh, how I’ve missed you!
I love how you can throw a bunch of ingredients in it, turn it on and forget about it! Nothing is better than walking into the house after a long day and having a warm meal ready and waiting for you!
A few weeks ago I saw a crock pot recipe floating around Pinterest for black bean soup with quinoa and I have been craving it ever since! I didn’t have all the ingredients, so winged it a little….ok, a lot! The original recipe called for dried chipotle peppers and coriander powder, which I didn’t have. This soup was wonderful without, but I bet both ingredients would taste great! I cut back on the amount of bell pepper because I don’t like cooked peppers all that much! I also added carrots to up the veggie content. I loved how the cinnamon stick created a rich flavor…it really spiced it up!
- 1 pound of dried black beans rinsed and picked over
- 2/3 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 1 dried cinnamon stick
- 1-2 teaspoons chili powder depending on your “hot” tolerance!
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- fresh cilantro
- sliced avocado
- Throw all the ingredients in the crock pot.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours on or high for 4-5 hours (until beans are tender).
- Top with cilantro and sliced avocado.
- -Enjoy 🙂
- Can Babies Eat Garlic? Benefits & Safety - 23 September 2023
- When Can Babies Have Oatmeal? A Complete Guide - 22 September 2023
- Adrenal Cocktail: Boost Energy, Calm and Nourish the Adrenal Glands! - 20 September 2023