The carrot, one of the most underestimated vegetables out there! Don’t let this ordinary, often boring veggie fool you…in just two carrots there is four times the RDA of vitamin A! They are bursting with vitamin C and antioxidants as well. Studies show that a high carotene intake has been linked to a decrease of cancer and cardiovascular disease.
They are also great for promoting eye health…I guess Mom was right!
Like I said before, carrots can be a bit boring. Try this recipe and turn the plain, old carrot into a savory soup! Adding tahini gives this soup a “creamy” texture without the cream, it’s totally dairy-free! The spicy chickpeas add spice and crunch while the toasted sesame oil and a pinch of sea salt help bring out the flavors.
This recipe is a keeper 🙂
- 1 pound carrots washed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- a few gluggs extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and pepper
- toasted sesame oil for garnish
- For Spicy Chickpeas:
- 1 can garbanzo beans rinsed and drained
- a few gluggs of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- pinch sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss carrots in a few tablespoons of olive oil, add a pinch of sea salt and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cook for 20 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Meanwhile, add a few gluggs of olive oil to a small sauce pan. Over medium-low heat, sauté onion and garlic until onions start to caramelize. Add lime juice, paprika, cumin, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and saute until fragrant.
- In a food processor, add roasted carrots, onion/garlic mixture, vegetable broth and tahini. Blend until well pureed. I used a vitamix and blended on the “hot soup” setting.
- Return to a soup pot to warm.
- For Spicy Chickpeas:
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add chickpeas, paprika and sea salt.
- Cook until chickpeas start to become crispy, about 5 minutes.
- Garnish soup with a generous helping of spicy chickpeas, pinch of sea salt and a drizzle of toasted sesame seed oil.
- Enjoy 🙂
- Can Babies Eat Garlic? Benefits & Safety - 23 September 2023
- When Can Babies Have Oatmeal? A Complete Guide - 22 September 2023
- Adrenal Cocktail: Boost Energy, Calm and Nourish the Adrenal Glands! - 20 September 2023