Winter Guacamole with Butternut Squash and Pistachios
Miss those warm days of summer sipping on margaritas and eating guacamole??? Here is a winterized version warmed up with roasted butternut squash and pistachios! Pair with a nice glass of red wine for a cozy wintertime appetizer!
Like I’ve said before, we burn through avocados in our house! We can’t get enough of them! In my mind, avocados are nature’s perfect food. Easy to travel with, comes with their own packaging and super healthy for you.
Here’s the nutritional breakdown:
Healthy Fats: The majority of fat in avocados is the healthy kind, monounsaturated fat in the form of oleic acid. This fat is your friend, which will lower your risk of heart disease.
Protein: 4 grams in one avocado, which is more than most other fruits!
Daily Dose of Vitamins: Including vitamin E, K, C, B vitamins and potassium.
Fiber: One avocado contains around 11 grams of fiber, which is almost half of your daily need!
The combination of biotin and healthy fat found in avocados are helpful in the winter to combat dry skin and dull hair so eat up!
- 1 cup butternut squash, cubed
- drizzle extra virgin olive oil and dash of cinnamon
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 tablespoons red onion, minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- ½ teaspoon maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons pistachios, chopped
- Toss butternut squash in olive oil. Lay on a baking sheet and sprinkle with a dash of cinnamon. Roast on 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, In a medium bowl, mash avocados and add red onion, lime juice, cilantro, maple syrup,cumin, sea salt and pepper. Adjust seasoning to your preference.
- Top guacamole with roasted butternut squash and chopped pistachios. Serve with chips or veggies such as sliced cucumbers and carrot sticks. Enjoy!
For an even healthier version serve with sliced cucumbers, carrot sticks and red bell peppers!
Recipe inspiration found at the Free People Blog