A rustic meal made in under an hour! Kale and potato soup!
Between a family trip to Disney World and preparing for our big move, things have been a bit crazy! Meals are simple these days, mostly soups, salads and sandwiches. Kitchen sink soups are great to make when trying to empty out the refrigerator and shelves! I’ve also been utilizing summer kale that was frozen for this very purpose!
When we move into our new house I am getting my very own pantry! I honestly could care less what the rest of the house looks like as long as I have a big kitchen and pantry!
Having a well stocked pantry is so important! Remember: when you have healthy food in the house, you will eat healthy food! Many pantry items can be thrown together to create a simple and healthy meal in a limited amount of time! Stock up on these when on sale!
Here is a list of a few of my pantry favorites:
~canned beans (BPA free lined cans), white, black, kidney and chickpeas Lots of beans!
~dried beans and lentils
~brown and basmati rice
~whole wheat, gluten free or brown rice pasta
~extra dried seasonings, sea salt and pepper
~braggs amino acids or tamari
~red wine and rice vinegar
~organic diced tomatoes and tomato sauce
~capers and olives
~olive oil, toasted sesame seed oil and coconut oil
~old fashioned oats
~dried fruit (organic raisins and cranberries)
~nuts (almonds, walnuts, cashews, pistachios), pine nuts, sunflower seeds, tahini and nut butters
~flax seeds, chia seeds and hemp seeds
~canned coconut milk, non-refrigerated almond milk
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6-8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes (organic)
- 4 red potatoes, chopped
- 2 cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 4-6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bunch of kale, destemmed and chopped (or frozen kale)
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil and sauté onion until lightly golden. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Add broth, diced tomatoes, potatoes, beans and thyme and simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add kale and simmer for an additional 10 minutes, add sea salt and pepper to taste.