Sweet Potato Quesadillas with Black Bean Pineapple Salsa
These quesadillas can be made with or without cheese, an easy meal to please both vegans or vegetarians!
Sweet potatoes mashed with coconut oil, cumin, chili powder and sea salt is sandwiched between a spinach tortilla and heated on a warm skillet. Add organic shredded cheddar if you would like and top with fresh tropical black bean pineapple salsa…suitable for a meal or served in smaller portions as an appetizer!
The salsa recipe is adapted from Martha Stewart. I kept it on the mild side, but try adding a little chopped jalapeño for heat! You will have leftovers of the salsa, which you can add to salad greens for lunch tomorrow!
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon chili powder
- sea salt to taste
- spritz of fresh lime juice
- 2 large spinach tortillas or 4 small tortillas
- ½ cup shredded organic cheddar (optional)
- Black Bean Pineapple Salsa
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1.5 cups fresh pineapple, chopped
- 3 tablespoons red onion, diced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 3 scallions, chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped (optional)
- sea salt to taste
- For mashed sweet potatoes:
- In a small sauce pan, boil chopped sweet potatoes until tender and easily pierced with a fork. Drain and mash with coconut oil, cumin, chili powder, sea salt and lime juice. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- For Black Bean Pineapple Salsa:
- Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl until well combined. Taste and adjust flavors as needed.
- Heat tortilla in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of sweet potato mixture (and cheese if using), fold tortilla in half and cook until tortilla is lightly golden. Top with black bean pineapple salsa and enjoy!
Pineapple is rich in bromelain, which is a sulfur-containing enzyme that helps with digestion! It also contains anti-inflammatory agents that may help ease conditions such arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome as well as speed up recovery from surgery and injury.
Let food be your medicine!
Looking for another pineapple recipe? Try these!
Grilled Pineapple with Brown Sugar Lime Sauce
Pineapple Cucumber Banana Berry Smoothie