Treat mom to breakfast in bed this Mother’s Day with Strawberry Muffins and Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting!
The least we can do for the moms and special women in our lives is to cook them breakfast and buy a few flowers! It’s the little things that light up our hearts the most! Noah brought home from school such a cute surprise for me this week..a hand painted flower pot with purple pansies and a drawing. He explained the drawing in such detail it made me cry…my hair, my eyes, my nose and the baby in my belly. It was too cute for words! My mother’s day is complete!
But, I wouldn’t complain if someone wanted to bake me up a batch of these…
They are a little healthier than your everyday muffins thanks to whole wheat flour, minimal sugar and olive oil. We have to keep mom healthy, right?!? Vegan cream cheese is whipped together with freeze-dried strawberries for taste and color. I found freeze-dried strawberries at Whole Foods. You can skip this step if you can’t find freeze-dried strawberries and simply flavor frosting with a little extra vanilla extract.
Recipe adapted from Cucina Nicolina
- ¾ cup soy milk (or milk of your choice)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1.5 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1.5 cup strawberries, chopped
- For cream cheese frosting:
- 1 cup freeze dried strawberries
- 8 oz vegan cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- drop pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a muffin tin with cups or spray with cooking spray, set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together milk, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup and olive oil.
- In a separate bowl sift together whole wheat pastry flour, all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add chopped strawberries and toss to coat.
- Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients and gently mix until just combined.
- Fill muffin cups ¾ way full. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool.
- To make frosting:
- Place freeze dried strawberries in a food processor and pulse until a powder is formed.
- Add cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla and blend until creamy scraping down sides as needed. Use a drop or two of soy milk for thinning if needed.
- Serve with warm muffins and enjoy!
HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY to all the amazing moms, sisters, aunts, grandma’s and friends out there!