We have a big eating week ahead of us! Overeating is inevitable during the holidays, so balance it out by eating super healthy before and after the big event! Focus on simple soups or salads, like this split pea soup!
Split peas are loaded with fiber, 1 cup of cooked split peas contains a whopping 16 grams of fiber, that’s more than half of your daily needs! The soluble fiber found in split peas helps with digestive disorders such as diverticulosis and heart disease. They also contain B vitamins, minerals and a whole lot of protein!
Not only is this soup really easy to make, it’s also easy on the budget! The entire recipe costs roughly $10 and that’s with using mostly organic ingredients!
split pea soup
Author: Begin Within Nutrition
Recipe type: Main
Serves: 6-8 servings
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cups carrots, chopped
- 2 cup potatoes, diced
- 1 16 oz bag of dried split peas
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1-1.5 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and sauté until lightly golden.
- Add garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Serve warm and enjoy!