Southwestern Chickpea Avocado Smash Up, a balanced, one-handed meal for moms on the move!
Between bouncing out baby burps and tending to a 3 year old, I’ve had to keep meal time prep simple! We’ve been making a lot of wraps for a few reasons: 1. You can eat them with only one hand 2. Easy to throw together during the few moments of free time
Chickpeas are an excellent source of protein and avocado provides healthy fat making for a nutritious meal without a lot of fuss! You can even eat this “smash up” with rice crackers or on top of a salad for a gluten free option. I added a little cayenne pepper for a southwestern flare, but you can keep it simple with just sea salt and pepper.
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 avocados
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 cup corn (canned or frozen)
- 2 tablespoons red onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- pinch cayenne pepper
- sprouts, lettuce or spinach leaves
- whole wheat wraps
- Add chickpeas and avocados to a medium bowl. Mash using a potato masher or the back of a fork. Add lime juice, corn, red onion, cilantro, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper, stir to combine. Taste and adjust flavor as needed.
- Scoop onto a whole wheat tortilla and top with fresh sprouts, lettuce, spinach leaves or all three!
Other Smash Up Options:
Mashed Chickpea Salad from The Glowing Fridge
Greek Chickpea Salad Sandwiches from She Likes Food
Chickpea of the Sea from Begin Within Nutrition