Roasted Beet, Purple Cabbage and Lentil Salad
Need to press the refresh button after a weekend of partying? This salad is a delicious way to get your diet back on track!
There’s a whole lot of antioxidant power going on in this salad with roasted red beets and raw purple cabbage! Lentils are added for a protein punch making this a well-rounded meal. Did you know purple cabbage comes from the cruciferous vegetable family? One of the most powerful veggies out there thanks to a compound called indole-3-carbinol, which is known for its anticancer effects and capability to speed up detoxification!
Every time I roast beets I’m reminded about how much I LOVE them! I kept sneaking bites, I’m surprised I had any left for the salad!
Note to self: Next time roast more beets for snacking on!
The original recipe was found here from Food & Wine. I altered it by dropping the bacon and blue cheese and switched up the dressing a bit. I hope you like it
- ½ cup dried lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 3 beets, roasted
- 2 cups purple cabbage, chopped
- 2 cups Boston lettuce, ripped into bite sized pieces
- For the vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ½ tablespoon maple syrup
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Add lentils to a small saucepan, cover with a few inches of water and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Drain off excess water and let cool.
- Preheat oven (or toaster oven) to 425 degrees. Rinse and trim beets and wrap them in foil. Place in oven for 45-60 minutes (depending on size of beets) or until easily pierced with a fork. Let cool and peel skin away, chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Add shallot, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, dijon mustard and maple syrup to a bowl. Slowly whisk in olive oil and season with sea salt and pepper.
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl, drizzle with vinaigrette and enjoy!