Making this pumpkin gingerbread is my fist attempt at Christmas, it always helps to fill the house with the delicious smell of pumpkin, ginger, cloves and cinnamon!
In the midst of moving and being busy with work, I haven’t had the chance to get into the holiday spirit! We don’t even have our tree up yet and Christmas cards probably won’t happen for us this year (first world problems). I’m sorry to all those sending lovely cards, I appreciate receiving them! I promise I will be on my A-Game next year and reciprocate the kindness!
This recipe doesn’t use oil or butter, instead it uses pumpkin to create a nice, light and fluffy texture. For a vegan option, use flax eggs in place of regular eggs. (1 flax egg = 1 tablespoon flax meal + 3 tablespoons warm water, let sit for 10 minutes until a gel is formed) Using flax in place of eggs may create a more dense bread.
- 2 eggs or 2 flax eggs
- 1 + ¼ cup canned pumpkin
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- ⅓ cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 + ⅔ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup crystallized ginger, chopped (plus more for topping)
- For Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- drop pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons soy or almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F, spray a 9x5 loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix eggs, pumpkin, maple syrup, molasses and vanilla with an electric hand mixer.
- In a separate bowl sift together flour, spices, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients and mix until just combined, don't over mix!
- Fold in crystallized ginger and transfer to loaf pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes checking occasionally as oven temps vary. When toothpick inserted comes out clean bread is done. Allow to cool.
- For glaze: whisk together ingredients until smooth, and drizzle over cooled bread.
Check back tomorrow for some big news that I’m very excited to share with you!!!!