Memorial Day is almost here, the beginning of BBQ season! Here is a crowd pleasing, colorful and healthy salad to serve…Rainbow Kale Slaw!
Adapted from the famous Whole Foods recipe, which is often served at their salad bar, but making it on your own is a lot cheaper! There are too many nutritional components of this salad to list, but just based on the array of colors there is no questioning how healthy it is for you! Kale salads are a great dish that you can make ahead of time, they will hold up in the refrigerator for a while prior to serving. In fact, they even get better with time!
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, destemmed and chopped thin
- 2 cups purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 orange, peeled and cut into segments
- ¼ cup red onion, thinly chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- ⅓ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Add kale, cabbage, orang segments, red onion, red bell pepper, pumpkin seeds and cilantro to a big bowl.
- Whisk together orange juice, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard and evoo. Drizzle on top of slaw and mix well to coat.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour to enhance flavors and soften kale. Enjoy!
I recommend using a flatter leafed kale, something like lacinato kale. It makes for an easier time cutting into thin strips. The dressing is a citrus dijon balsamic vinaigrette, but a peanut sauce would also taste wonderful! Next time!
I’ve been into pumpkin seeds (A Super Seed!) lately and here’s why:
~Rich in the minerals iron, zinc, magnesium and phosphorus
~Good source of B vitamins
~High in monounsaturated fat and protein
~Improved prostate health for all the men out there!
~Taste great and adds a healthy crunch to salads and cereal
Check out this article from Science Daily on the Nine Superfruits and Super Seeds to add to your diet!