Did you have a weekend full with sub-par food choices like me? If so, restart yourself with this wonderful Winter Wilted Kale Salad!
We often think of detoxifying super foods as a summer thing…but, not kale! Kale can be grown in almost any weather and is abundantly found in the winter months. Pumped full with chlorophyl, B vitamins, vitamin C and antioxidants to keep you energized and nourished all-year-long. Adding kale to your weekly dietary intake is another way to regularly detoxify using a whole-foods approach.
This recipe was inspired by a dinner out with friends a few weeks ago. I ordered it as a starter, but I wish I ordered a double portion as an entrée instead! I can’t get enough kale these days! Sweet dried cranberries off set the tangy Dijon vinaigrette and walnuts are added for crunch. Serve slightly warmed on cold days like these!
- 1 bunch kale (I used black kale), destemmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- dried cranberries
- For the vinaigrette:
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- In a large frying pan heat olive oil, add garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes or until garlic is fragrant. Add kale and sauté until just wilted, not fully cooked. Remove from heat.
- To make vinaigrette: Whisk all ingredients together, add sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Add dried cranberries and walnuts to wilted kale, drizzle with desired amount of vinaigrette and serve warm.
- ~you may have left over vinaigrette to use later for another salad~