Hummus Layer Dip, lemon scented hummus loaded with fresh veggies. A healthy addition to any Super Bowl party!
When you think about Super Bowl, healthy food doesn’t usually come to mind. Wings, sliders, mini-hot dogs, spinach artichoke dip and cheese fries…diet disaster! Try keeping it on the lighter side this year by including a few appetizers that are both delicious and guilt free!
I know this recipe isn’t all that original, but it is a tried and true crowd pleaser! I made this recipe from Allrecipes.com before and it was loved by all. This time around, I upped the veggie content by adding romaine lettuce and roasted red peppers.
- 4 oz vegan cream cheese (or your favorite brand of cream cheese)
- 10 oz tub of hummus (or homemade hummus)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasonings
- 1 small head romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cucumber, diced
- ½ cup olives, sliced
- ¼ cup roasted red peppers, diced
- 4 scallions, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (optional)
- Add vegan cream cheese, hummus, lemon juice and Italian seasonings to a food processor and pulse until well combined. Spread on bottom of a glass trifle bowl or deep pie plate.
- Layer with remaining ingredients, add sesame seeds as a garnish.
- Serve with pita chips and cucumbers slices.
For a gluten-free alternative, serve with sliced cucumbers!
Update: A reader suggested to add another layer of hummus to hold the dip together better and I totally agree with her! And, while it sure does look pretty layered in a trifle bowl, it’s a little hard to scoop out with a chip. Provide a serving spoon along side or arrange dip in a long, shallow cooking dish.
Helpful Hint: Don’t show up to a party hungry! This will only lead to over-eating and making unhealthy choices! Instead, eat a protein packed, veggie filled meal before you arrive. The fiber and protein will help to keep you full all evening long! When at a party, munch on healthier choices such as veggie sticks, cut fruit, whole grain crackers and hummus. Choose the items you want to indulge in and keep portion sizes to a minimum…think appetizer plate size, not supersize portions. Bring a healthy dish with you so you know there will be something available for you to fill up on. Also, stay hydrated! Dehydration often masks itself as hunger. Remember to drink water or sparkling water in between alcoholic beverages.