How can you not feel amazing after eating this salad?
After becoming a new mom I quickly learned that taking care of myself was vital to the health of my family. And by “taking care” of myself I don’t mean weekend retreats at a spa, thai yoga massages or prepared juice cleanses delivered to my door step. Heck, I’m lucky if I brush my teeth everyday! I’m talking about simple, yet powerful habits that keep me healthy and happy.
Here are a few of my feel good favorites:
1. Drink water, stay hydrated. Nothing will stop you in your tracks quicker than dehydration. It’s no wonder because our bodies are made up of 60% water! Adequate hydration is essential for detoxification, circulation, digestion and muscle function to name a few! Yeah, I’d say those are all pretty important things to have for running around and chasing a toddler!
2. Create a comfortable sleep space. Or as I like to call it, our Sleepytime Zen Den. Yes, a California king bed with 1000 count Egyptian cotton sheets would be wonderful, but it’s not in our budget right now! Instead I found a few affordable things that created a calming atmosphere in our bedroom. Let’s face it, as parents our hours of sleep are limited. We might as well maximize what we get, right? Two things that have changed my life (seriously!) are a Himalayan Salt Lamp and essential oils. (more on these soon!) Since having the lamp and diffusing lavender oil in the room I sleep like a baby! Do these things actually work or is it all in my head? Who knows, but it’s helping me catch my Zzzz’s so I’m going with it!
3. Be Mindless, and not in front of the TV. I used to be a reader. I would get lost in a book and find myself finishing it in hours. Now a days by the time I can sit down at night I am so spent that picking up a book seems like a chore. Instead, I knit. (thanks for teaching me mom!) I can zone out, rest my mind and have something to show for it, score! I know knitting isn’t for everyone, but find out what calms you down at the end of the day. Painting, listening to music, meditation, doing absolutely nothing…
4. Get upside down. Oh the days when I was a yogi…. I can’t even tell you when I went to my last yoga class. Now it’s a downward dog here and a back bend there…usually as a bridge for Noah to climb under, not as a yoga pose! But, after years of studying and practicing yoga the philosophies stuck with me. I wish I was better at home practice, but I’m not and I won’t beat myself up over it. Instead, once a day I lay on my back and put my legs up on the wall. If I’m feeling ambitious I may attempt a head stand, but usually not! Simple and effective. Getting upside down will change your perspective (no pun intended!) in a matter of seconds. In a bad mood? Get upside down. Tired and stressed? Get upside down. I promise it will set your mind right!
5. EAT MORE FRUIT AND VEGGIES! I saved the most important one for last! Nothing will get you feeling better and staying healthy like eating more fruits and vegetables. Loaded with digestive enzymes, vitamins, nutrients, antioxidants and fiber to help you feel and look your best! If you put crap in your body, you’re going to feel like crap. (sorry for the language, I just get so fired up about nutrition!) Instead, aim for at least 5-9 servings of fruits and vegetables per day. Starting the day with smoothies will set you up for success!
Then try this salad for lunch…
Bursting with vitamin C, omega 3 fatty acids, vitamin K, vitamin E, magnesium and vitamin B6!
- 2 oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 tablespoons pistachios, shelled and chopped
- ½ cup micro greens
- For the Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- pinch cayenne pepper
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Arrange sliced oranges and avocados on a plate, place microgreens in the middle and top with chopped pistachio nuts.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients, adjusting cayenne pepper, sea salt and pepper as desired.
- Drizzle dressing on top of salad and enjoy!
What are your favorite “feel good” habits for staying healthy?