I know it’s almost the end of the month and I’m a little late to the game, but July is National Blueberry Month!!!
To celebrate the month of the antioxidant rich blueberry, I bring you a blueberry buckle that won’t make you want to loosen your belt buckle!
Made with coconut oil, whole wheat flour and loads of blueberries of course! Slightly sweetened with maple syrup and topped with an oat crumble, this blueberry buckle would pair great with a cup of coffee on a hot July morning!
- For the Oat Crumble Topping:
- ¼ cup old fashioned oats
- 3 tablespoons organic cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- For the Blueberry Buckle:
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup white flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup pure maple syrup
- ⅓ cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease a 9 inch cake pan with oil or cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl; mix together oats, sugar and cinnamon. Add coconut oil and mix until crumbly. Set aside.
- In a large bowl; sift together whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl; whisk together maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Fold in blueberries. (note: cake batter is thick, similar to cookie dough. You may need to use hands to fold in blueberries, don't be shy!)
- Transfer batter to greased cake pan, add crumble topping and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool and enjoy!
Hooray for Friday!
Enjoy these beautiful July weekends while they last