With fresh basil flourishing in the gardens and tomato season soon upon us, I thought this would be a fitting recipe to share!
To top it all off, I added a drizzle of sweet balsamic reduction sauce…
Since I have SO much kale growing in the garden I served it on top of shredded Russian Kale however, you can serve on top of Romaine lettuce instead. Of course, you can include fresh mozzarella for a vegetarian dish.
avocado caprese salad with pesto vinaigrette
Recipe type: Appetizer
- For the Pesto Vinaigrette:
- 1 cup fresh basil
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 small clove of garlic
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- For the Balsamic Reduction Sauce:
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- For the Avocado Caprese Salad:
- 2 cups shredded greens (kale or romaine lettuce)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- pine nuts for garnish
- To make Pesto Vinaigrette:
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until creamy adding sea salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- To make the Balsamic Reduction Sauce:
- Place balsamic vinegar and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat. Bring to a boil and reduce heat, let simmer until sauce is reduced by half (around 15-20 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside.
- To make Avocado Caprese Salad:
- Assemble sliced tomatoes and avocados on top of a bed of greens. Drizzle with pesto vinaigrette and balsamic reduction sauce. Garnish with pine nuts and enjoy!
This salad screams summertime!
The smell of fresh basil gets me every time!
It would make the perfect starter to a summer feast or could be served alone as a light and refreshing meal!