Almond Joy Superfood Smoothie Bowl
Can you tell I’m on a superfood kick these days?!? Smoothies are a great way to incorporate superfoods into your day! This smoothie is loaded with antioxidant, vitamins, minerals, protein and fiber (13 grams protein and 12 grams fiber to be exact!)…plus it tastes like a bowl of almond joy ice cream! Less liquid is added, so the consistency of this smoothie is more like a thick milk shake and requires a spoon! However, you can add a little more milk for a drinkable smoothie! We all agreed that this smoothie was sweet enough as is, but if you need a little more sweetness add a few pitted dates.
A whole tablespoon of cacao is added, which will give you a jolt! Cacao contains the stimulant theobromine, so use with caution! I don’t recommend large doses of cacao for toddlers, especially while snowed in during winter storm Juno! Also, use in moderation if pregnant…needless to say, we shared this smoothie bowl three ways!
- 1 frozen banana (slice before freezing for easier blending!)
- ¼ cup old fashioned oats (add nuts if going grain free!)
- ½ cup milk of your choice (hemp, soy, almond, etc.)
- ½ tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao or cocoa powder
- ⅛ teaspoon almond extract
- shredded coconut
- hemp seeds
- cacao nibs
- Place all ingredients (except the toppings) in a high speed blender and blend until creamy. Transfer to a bowl, add toppings and enjoy!