Superfood Salad with Beets and Sweets
Take an ordinary meal and turn it into something spectacular with superfoods!
- Pasta with veggies, meh…add hemp seeds for a nutrient packed punch!
- Fruit smoothie are ok but, add cacao and WOW!
- Minestrone soup is better than most but, add some flax for disease fighting power!
- Breakfast cereal, come on you can do better than that! Add chia seeds and berries to take a boring breakfast to the next level!
Here are a list of superfoods that you will always find in my kitchen:
Avocados: High in healthy monounsaturated fat, which decreases risk of heart disease. Also, high in protein, fiber, B vitamins, vitamin E, C and K…all helpful for glowing skin and healthy hair! Add to smoothies, salads, sandwiches, pasta, quinoa and baked goods…yes, baked goods! (stay tuned for a chocolate avocado cookie recipe coming tomorrow!)
Beans/Lentils: High in insoluble fiber, which naturally lowers cholesterol. High in protein to keep you full and loaded with magnesium and iron. Cook a batch to have all week-long or stock your pantry with canned beans (non-BPA lined cans!). Dr. Fuhrman recommends eating at least a half cup daily! Add into soups, salads or pasta dishes!
Beets: Natural detoxifiers and blood cleansers! Beets contain high levels of vitamin A, B and C, which decrease inflammation. Try adding shredded raw or roasted beets to salads!
Berries: Fresh, dried or frozen…all have high levels of antioxidants, which defend against disease and inflammation. Add dried berries to salads or granola and add fresh or frozen berries to smoothies!
Greens: Endless benefits! Greens contain fiber, vitamins and nutrients all important for decreasing the risk of disease and aid in weight loss. Keep fresh greens handy for an impromptu salad or toss into soups, smoothies or pasta.
Quinoa: The perfect protein! 1 cup of cooked quinoa contains 8 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber! High in iron, zinc and vitamin E. Super easy to make, eat hot or cold and can be stored in the refrigerator for days! Cook a batch at the beginning of the week to have readily available to add to salads or toss with sautéed stir fried veggies for a quick weeknight meal!
Sweet Potatoes: High in beta-carotene, which converts to vitamin A…an essential vitamin, which may decrease risk of cancer and heart disease. Contains high levels of choline, which slows the aging process by decreasing inflammation. Also, high in fiber, which helps regulate the digestive system. Bake a few to have all week-long! Top with beans and greens for an easy meal or cinnamon, walnuts and maple syrup for a sweet treat!
Superfood Add Ins:
Hemp Seeds: High in protein, contains all essential amino acids! Loaded with omega 3 and magnesium. Add to everything!!! Smoothies, rice, pasta, cereal, avocado toast, ice cream, yogurt or salads!
Cacao (or non-alkalized cocoa powder): Loaded with phytonutrients and antioxidants! Plus, a healthy way to satisfy a chocolate craving! Toss into smoothies and use in baked goods or raw balls!
Seaweed: A natural source of iodine and bone building calcium and magnesium. Also, high in omega 3 fatty acids. Use for nori wraps or sprinkle dried wakame flakes onto rice, pasta, soups and sauces!
- 1 large sweet potato roasted and cubed or raw and shredded
- 1 large beet roasted and cubed or raw and shredded
- 4 cups of greens arugula, baby spinach or kale, romaine, etc.
- ½ avocado sliced
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons walnuts
- For Balsamic Vinaigrette:
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Assemble beets and sweets on top of greens. Add avocado, hemp seeds, walnuts and drizzle with desired amount of dressing.
- To make balsamic vinaigrette: Whisk all ingredients together and store in a mason jar 🙂
- Can Babies Eat Garlic? Benefits & Safety - 23 September 2023
- When Can Babies Have Oatmeal? A Complete Guide - 22 September 2023
- Adrenal Cocktail: Boost Energy, Calm and Nourish the Adrenal Glands! - 20 September 2023