Strawberry Pie with Oatmeal Cookie Crust for strawberry season!
This month’s Recipe Redux asked us to share a recipe for a healthier version of our favorite pie. Truth be told, I’m not a pie person. Pie crust just isn’t my thing! That’s why this pie caught my eye…pie filling in a crispy oatmeal cookie crust! Yes please!
Not only is this pie vegan, it’s also gluten free! Plus, it calls for almost 2 cups of oats, which provides heart healthy fiber…something you will not find in traditional pie crust made with heaps of butter and white flour!
My mother-in-law gave us a ton of freshly picked organic strawberries. I’ve never had strawberry pie, so I thought I’d give it a whirl!
Recipe adapted from Vegetarian Times
- For Pie Crust:
- 1 cup old-fashion oats
- 1 cup oat flour I made oat flour by putting oats in my vitamix
- ½ cup organic sugar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅓ cup coconut oil solid form
- For Pie Filling:
- 4 cups strawberries halved
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- ¼ cup organic sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For Crumble Topping:
- ½ cup old fashion oats quickly pulsed in a blender or food processor
- 1 tablespoon organic sugar
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil solid form
- To make crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a pie dish with cooking spray, set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, oat flour, sugar and sea salt. Cut in coconut oil and mix until crumbly. Add a small amount of water if needed to create a crumbly dough. Firmly press dough onto the bottom and sides of pie pan. Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove from oven and set aside.
- To make pie filling, add all ingredients to a large bowl and stir until well coated. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- To make crumble topping add oats and sugar to a small bowl. Cut in coconut oil until crumbly. Set aside.
- Pour pie filing into to pie crust and add crumble topping. Place pie on a cookie sheet and bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes. Lower heat to 400 degrees and bake for 30 minutes. Lower heat again to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 20-30 minutes or until pie is bubbly. Serve warm or cooled and enjoy 🙂
- Can Babies Eat Garlic? Benefits & Safety - 23 September 2023
- When Can Babies Have Oatmeal? A Complete Guide - 22 September 2023
- Adrenal Cocktail: Boost Energy, Calm and Nourish the Adrenal Glands! - 20 September 2023