Skillet raspberry cornbread makes a great addition to any summer cookout and it’s fun to make!
A sizzling hot skillet makes the edges crispy and golden and the inside soft and crumbly. Added raspberries and a sugar crust lend just the perfect amount of sweetness….
You can transform this cornbread to be less sweet and more savory by foregoing the raspberries and sugar topping and adding jalapeños and cheese (non-dairy cheese for a vegan version) 🙂
Cornmeal has been used as a dietary staple since 5000 B.C.E in the area of Central America. Native Americans cooked corn with limestone ash (known as potash) for easier absorption of B vitamins to prevent pellagra, a disease caused by niacin deficiency. Throughout history cornmeal has been used to make a variety of meals including grits, polenta, johnny cakes and of course, cornbread!
- 1 cup + 3 tablespoons soy milk or milk of your choice
- 1 tablespoon + ¼ teaspoon apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 flax egg 1 tablespoon flax meal + 3 tablespoons warm water
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup corn meal
- 1 tablespoon sugar plus more for topping
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and place a 10½ inch cast iron skillet on the center rack to warm.
- In a small bowl mix together soy milk and apple cider vinegar, set aside for 5-10 minutes to form a “buttermilk.”
- In a separate small bowl mix together flax meal and warm water, set aside for 5-10 minutes to form a “flax egg.”
- Whisk together “buttermilk,” flax egg, olive oil and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Make a well and add wet ingredients stirring until just combined. Fold in raspberries.
- Carefully remove hot skillet from the oven and swish around coconut oil until skillet is well coated. Add batter, you will hear it sizzle! Evenly sprinkle with sugar.
- Place on center rack and bake for 15-20 or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool, cut and enjoy 🙂
- Can Babies Eat Garlic? Benefits & Safety - 23 September 2023
- When Can Babies Have Oatmeal? A Complete Guide - 22 September 2023
- Adrenal Cocktail: Boost Energy, Calm and Nourish the Adrenal Glands! - 20 September 2023