Salt and chocolate, just mentioning the combo makes me drool!
Tahini can be used as a replacement for peanut butter in a number of recipes. Tahini is made from sesame seeds, which contain an antioxidant compound called lignans. Lignans have been shown to inhibit the production of cholesterol in the liver and as well as absorb dietary cholesterol, ultimately lowering total blood cholesterol levels.
These little seeds are also a wonderful source of protein, fiber, healthy fats and minerals, especially calcium. I think I’ve mentioned this before, but I often sprinkle sesame seeds on Noah’s food for an extra boost of calcium and fiber. To him they are called “sprinkle seeds.” They are fairly inexpensive and last a long time when stored in an airtight container. I keep mine in the refrigerator to prevent rancidity.
This recipe calls for tahini, which you can buy or make on your own. (I used store-bought tahini this time) To make your own tahini, blend sesame seeds with a pinch of cinnamon and salt until buttery. You can add a little sweetener such as agave or maple syrup if desired. If you don’t have tahini, I’m sure peanut butter, almond butter or cashew butter would make a great replacement!
- Place all ingredients except the chocolate chips in a food processor. Blend until smooth, occasionally scrapping down the sides.
- When a buttery consistency is achieved, scoop mixture onto a large piece of saran wrap. Roll dough in saran wrap creating a cylinder shape. Place into the refrigerator for 2-3 hours to set.
- When hardened, unwrap and use a sharp knife to cut into 1 inch slices.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Meanwhile, use a double-boiler to melt chocolate.
- Dip slices into melted chocolate, dripping off excess and place on parchment paper. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt and place back into the refrigerator to cool.
- Serve when chocolate has hardened. Store in the refrigerator 🙂
- Can Babies Eat Garlic? Benefits & Safety - 23 September 2023
- When Can Babies Have Oatmeal? A Complete Guide - 22 September 2023
- Adrenal Cocktail: Boost Energy, Calm and Nourish the Adrenal Glands! - 20 September 2023