I’m hell-bent on sticking to my grocery budget this month, which means by the end of the week its slim pickings in our kitchen! I looked through the pantry, emptied out the refrigerator and this is what I came up with! A meal that is super nutritious, high-protein, vegan, gluten-free, fiber-filled and…yup, another recipe that is made in under an hour!
We had this soup for dinner one night and lunch the next day,
2 meals made with easy-to-find ingredients and minimal effort!
Here are the nutrition fact per serving:
- 161 calories
- 7 grams of fat
- 19 grams of carbohydrates
- 7 grams of protein
- 7 grams of fiber
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ yellow onion minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1½ teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups red lentils
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ⅓ cup full-fat coconut milk
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- Fresh cilantro for garnish optional, but highly recommended
- Melt coconut oil in a large soup pot over medium heat, add onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add garlic and sauté until fragrant. Stir in celery, carrots, smoked paprika, cumin and coriander and sauté an additional 5 minutes.
- Add broth, water, lentils and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are tender, around 30-45 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice, coconut milk and season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with crushed red pepper flakes, lemon wedge and fresh cilantro prior to serving.
- Enjoy 🙂
- First BLW Foods: Ultimate Guide for Baby-Led Weaning - 29 November 2023
- Baby Led Weaning Ideas: Everything about BLW I wish I had known! - 27 November 2023
- Can Babies Eat Jello? Best Age to Start Explained + Recipes - 26 November 2023