I talk a lot about probiotics including where to find them and why they are so important for overall health. What I forgot to mention is that you need to feed them! They need food too! They are live organisms after all!
Probiotics feed off of prebiotics or soluble fiber. Soluble fiber are the indigestible food parts found in fruits and vegetables, mainly inulin and oligofructose. The probiotics eat these particles and ferment them creating a healthy gut microflora, which means increased immunity for you! Inulin and oligofructose also increase the absorption of magnesium and calcium!
So, where do we find prebiotics?
Fruits and vegetables!
(yet another reason to increase your consumption of plants!)
This salad is a perfect way to feed yourself and your bugs!
- 1 bunch asparagus trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 10 cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 can hearts of palm chopped
- 1 can butter beans drained and rinsed
- 6-10 leaves fresh mint chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove raw garlic crushed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Lightly steam asparagus until crisp-tender, set aside and let cool.
- Whisk together salad dressing ingredients, set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine asparagus, tomatoes, butter beans, hearts of palm and mint.
- Add salad dressing and toss to coat, enjoy 🙂
- Can Babies Eat Garlic? Benefits & Safety - 23 September 2023
- When Can Babies Have Oatmeal? A Complete Guide - 22 September 2023
- Adrenal Cocktail: Boost Energy, Calm and Nourish the Adrenal Glands! - 20 September 2023