One of my most popular posts to this day is the Balance Bowl, a healthy meal made easy. Here is a spring version, the Green Goddess Balance Bowl!
In similar fashion to the original Balance Bowl, this bowl contains the following ingredients to make a perfectly healthy, balanced and healing meal:
1. Grains: Quinoa is the base of this bowl. However, you can use brown rice, millet, farro, barley or baked sweet potato rounds instead! These whole grains are complex carbohydrates, which give your body the fuel to run at its best! They are also full of fiber to keep your digestive track running smoothly! Ladies, aim for at least 25 grams of fiber per day and men, aim for 30 grams per day!
2: Greens: Greens, especially from the cruciferous vegetable family are powerful detoxifiers. They have been proven to support both phase I and phase II of the detoxification process needed to eliminate the build up of toxins we are exposed to on a daily basis. For best results, aim for at least a cup a day!
3. Protein: Veggie protein sources include nuts, seeds, beans, tofu, lentils and certain grains such as quinoa, which contains all essential amino acids. Many veg heads fall short in the protein category and can become protein deficient. A teacher of mine once said “you have to earn the right to be vegan.” Meaning that you need to work really hard to maintain adequate protein status. It is important to vary your veggie sources of protein to obtain all essential amino acids. This balance bowl brings in protein from hemp seeds, quinoa, kale and walnuts!
4. Healthy Fat: Not only will healthy fats keep you full and satisfied, they will make you beautiful inside and out! Especially the famous Omega 3 fatty acids and Omega 6 fatty acids, which are needed for healthy skin, hair, joints, heart health and brain function. Some veggie sources are hemp seeds, avocados, walnuts, chia seeds and greens. Read here for a more depth explanation into why they are needed and how they are converted in the body!
5. Flavor: Why bother if it’s not flavorful!?! The dressing I used on this Green Goddess Balance Bowl is keeping with the green theme…basil, lemon and hempseed pesto! The recipe makes extra to use on avocado toast, salads, grains or soups!
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup brussel sprouts cleaned and halved
- 1 packed cup kale chopped
- extra virgin olive oil
- ½ avocado sliced
- 2 tablespoons walnuts
- For the Hempseed Pesto Dressing:
- 2 cups packed fresh basil
- 1 lemon juiced
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan. Add quinoa, reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer until all liquid has been absorbed, around 15-20 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Drizzle brussel sprouts with olive oil and add a pinch of sea salt. Roast on 400 until slightly browned and crisp.
- Add chopped kale to a small bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and add a pinch of sea salt. Massage until kale is coated with olive oil.
- To make Hempseed Pesto Dressing:
- Add basil, hemp seeds and lemon juice to a food processor. Blend while slowly adding olive oil, scraping down sides as needed. Flavor with sea salt and pepper.
- Arrange bowls with quinoa, brussels sprouts, kale, avocado, walnuts and drizzle with desired amount of pesto dressing.
- Enjoy 🙂
- First BLW Foods: Ultimate Guide for Baby-Led Weaning - 29 November 2023
- Baby Led Weaning Ideas: Everything about BLW I wish I had known! - 27 November 2023
- Can Babies Eat Jello? Best Age to Start Explained + Recipes - 26 November 2023