Spring Green Enchiladas with Avocado Cream for a family friendly meatless Monday meal!
These green enchiladas are loaded with sautéed kale, roasted sweet potatoes and black beans sending the fiber and protein content sky-high making for a hearty meal that any meat-eater can appreciate! Plus, they are ready in under an hour, which makes for an easy “whip-together” weeknight meal! You can even prepare the filling the day before or in the morning for an even faster cook time!
I used corn tortillas from Whole Foods, which are not gluten-free. Make sure to buy pure corn tortillas for a gluten-free option, if needed. I also used a jarred green enchilada sauce from Whole Foods, which contained minimal ingredients. I used store-bought sauce because a) tomatillos are impossible to find on Cape Cod right now and b) I didn’t have the time to make my own sauce! However, if you’re feeling adventurous, can find the ingredients and have the free time, go ahead make your own! This recipe looks delicious!
Recipe adapted from Two Peas and their Pod
- 2 cups sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil plus a little extra for roasting sweet potatoes
- 1 cup white onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- sea salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups kale destemmed and chopped
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 15 oz can green enchilada sauce
- scallions and cilantro for topping
- Avocado Cream:
- 1 avocado
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ lime juiced
- 1-2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- sea salt to taste
- Drizzle diced sweet potatoes with a little olive oil and roast on 450 for 15 minutes or until tender.
- In a large pan heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent, add garlic and sauté another 2-3 minutes.
- Add cumin, sea salt and chili powder.
- Add kale and sauté until wilted. Add beans and roasted sweet potatoes. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil or spray a cooking dish.
- Place a scoop of sautéed kale/sweet potato/black bean mixture into the center of a corn tortilla. Roll up and transfer to cooking dish. Repeat until all 8 enchiladas are stuffed.
- Pour green enchilada sauce on top and bake for 15 minutes.
- Top with chopped scallions, cilantro and avocado cream. Enjoy 🙂
- To make Avocado Cream:
- Place all ingredients into a food processor and blend until creamy. Add 1 tablespoon of water at a time to get desired consistency 🙂
- First BLW Foods: Ultimate Guide for Baby-Led Weaning - 29 November 2023
- Baby Led Weaning Ideas: Everything about BLW I wish I had known! - 27 November 2023
- Can Babies Eat Jello? Best Age to Start Explained + Recipes - 26 November 2023