Since Cinco de Mayo is just around the corner, I thought I would share some of my favorite fiesta themed recipes! Today’s recipe includes my recipe for fiesta quinoa, which is one of my most shared recipes yet! I simply added it to romaine lettuce and topped with avocado for an easy to prepare appetizer for any Cinco de Mayo party…Fiesta Quinoa Lettuce Boats!
These lettuce boats are light, fresh and have a pinch of spice! In the summer months I keep a batch of fiesta quinoa ready in the refrigerator, it makes a great side or can be eaten as a meal on its own.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 cup cucumber diced
- 1 cup red bell pepper diced
- ¼ cup red onion diced
- 3 scallions chopped
- 1 cup corn frozen, fresh or canned
- 1 can 15 oz black beans, drained and rinsed
- 10 cherry tomatoes halved
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 avocado thinly sliced
- 2 heads of Romaine lettuce
- Bring water to a boil, add quinoa, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until all water is absorbed and l quinoa is soft and fluffy. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool.
- Once quinoa is cooled, add all ingredients except avocado and romaine lettuce, stir until well combined. Adjust flavors as needed. Refrigerate to let flavors marinate.
- To assemble boats, add a scoop of quinoa to the center of a romaine lettuce leaf and top with sliced avocado. Enjoy 🙂
- Can Babies Eat Garlic? Benefits & Safety - 23 September 2023
- When Can Babies Have Oatmeal? A Complete Guide - 22 September 2023
- Adrenal Cocktail: Boost Energy, Calm and Nourish the Adrenal Glands! - 20 September 2023