Here’s another savory summertime side dish, Crunchy Asian Cabbage Salad
Shredded cabbage and carrots make up the bulk of this salad with edamame, mandarin oranges, scallions and red peppers sprinkled throughout. Roasted almonds and noodles are tossed in for crunch and the sweet soy dressing makes this salad spectacular!
The noodles that are used are packaged ramen noodles. Toss out that nasty package of MSG flavored powdered and keep the noodles. Break the noodles with your hands into small bits and roast with slivered almonds until lightly golden. For a gluten free version omit the noodles and add more almonds!
Cabbage salads are great for the summer because they don’t wilt as easily as lettuce based salads. Plus, cabbage is incredibly healthy! The American Cancer Society recommends eating cruciferous vegetables (cabbage, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, broccoli) regularly to decrease risk of cancer. Cruciferous vegetables contain the most anti-cancerious properties than any other family of vegetables! This salad makes it easy to eat a large portion of raw cabbage…not always easy to do!
You can make this salad and add the dressing ahead of time, but wait to add the almonds and noodles until right before serving! The recipe for the sweet soy dressing makes more than enough! Add desired amount to salad and save the rest for later use! Recipe adapted from Gimme Some Oven
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- 2 packages ramen noodles crumbled (noodles only, throw away the flavor packet!)
- 1 16 ounce bag of cole slaw (cabbage and carrots)
- 1 cup steamed/shelled edamame
- 4 scallions chopped
- ½ cup mandarin oranges
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- Sweet Soy Dressing:
- ⅔ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ⅓ cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons braggs amino acids tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seed oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place slivered almonds and crumbled ramen noodles on a baking sheet and roast for 5-10 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a large bowl add cabbage, edamame, scallions, mandarin oranges and red bell pepper.
- Make sweet soy dressing by whisking all ingredients together.
- When ready to serve, add almonds and ramen noodles to salad. Drizzle with dressing, toss to coat and enjoy 🙂
- First BLW Foods: Ultimate Guide for Baby-Led Weaning - 29 November 2023
- Baby Led Weaning Ideas: Everything about BLW I wish I had known! - 27 November 2023
- Can Babies Eat Jello? Best Age to Start Explained + Recipes - 26 November 2023