Ugh…I did it again! Hi my name is Crissy and I’m addicted to coffee. I have always allowed myself to enjoy one cup in the morning however, somehow that second cup snuck into my afternoon routine, and it doesn’t want to budge! Today I found myself absolutely dragging and needing that jolt of caffeine.
Every where we look there are studies showing that coffee is good for us one minute and horrible for us the next. Yes, coffee has been found to improve mental function and prevent everything from Parkinson’s disease to cancer. However, caffeine in excess does not constitute a healthy addition to any diet.
Cons: (the short list!)
- Increases the stress hormone cortisol leading to weight gain and inflammation (the root of all disease).
- Decreases our sensitivity to insulin, making it harder for our cells to use the sugar we consume.
- Disrupts serotonin leading to sleep disruption and promoting depression.
- Increases blood pressure, anxiety and heart palpitations.
- Decreases fertility especially in women.
- Leads to adrenal fatigue.
Bottom line: Coffee is acidic and dehydrating. It stresses the body, suppresses the immune system and decreases the body’s natural ability to detoxify.
So, today around 3 pm when I had to peel myself off of the floor to run after Noah I decided that this vicious cycle needed to end! While I am still going to enjoy my one cup in the morning, I am going to fuel myself with pure, vibrant energy from whole foods instead of going for that second cup of jo.
What I did instead was made a green juice. Technically not juice as I used my vitamix instead of the juicer. Don’t have the time or capability to make a juice or smoothie? Go for raw fruits or vegetables instead. The energy from these foods will fuel you with a burst of enzymes. Enzymes are only found in raw foods. They are responsible for delivering nutrients (energy) to our cells as well as eliminating our cells of toxins. Raw foods or green juices/smoothies also alkalize the body creating more vibrancy. Plus, after downing a fruit salad or green juice/smoothie you are motivated to make better, healthier choices throughout the day!
This is the blend I made today but you can get creative and use whatever you have available!
- I threw it all in a blender and mixed it up! If you don’t have a high powered blender such as a vitamix you may end up with a chunky mess. Experiment with your blender. Most blenders could handle a lighter combo of frozen pineapple, baby spinach, cucumber and lemon, which would give you the same benefits 🙂
- Can Babies Eat Garlic? Benefits & Safety - 23 September 2023
- When Can Babies Have Oatmeal? A Complete Guide - 22 September 2023
- Adrenal Cocktail: Boost Energy, Calm and Nourish the Adrenal Glands! - 20 September 2023