Chocolate Sheet Cake…
Gluten-free, vegan and topped with velvety chocolate frosting made from avocados! There’s a secret ingredient to this one-bowl cake that makes it super fluffy without using eggs. Can you guess what it is???
I am a true believer that everything comes into your life at just the perfect time. For instance, this amazing chocolate sheet cake. This past week I didn’t want to “adult” any more. One kid with pink eye, the other kid with a fever, sick husband, computer problems, house problems and zero sleep. Let me tell you, the struggle has been real! Just when I couldn’t take it any longer this chocolate sheet cake entered my life. Now, I know I shouldn’t drown my first world problems in an ooey gooey chocolate cake, but sometimes it’s necessary! (and any dietitian out there that says they never do it is lying, we’re all human!) Just don’t make a habit of it 🙂
Anyway, there is so much amazingness about this cake I don’t even know where to begin! First, it’s gluten-free. Second, it’s simple to make. Dump all the ingredients in one bowl and stir…done and done! Third, the chocolate frosting is made with avocados. Yes, avocados! Lastly, it’s vegan. Instead of eggs I used aquafaba. Aqua who? Aquafaba, the brine from canned chickpeas. (Don’t stop reading!) I know it sounds weird, but this “juice” is the perfect egg replacement for vegan baking!
“Aquafaba generally refers to the liquid in a can of chickpeas, and is a revolutionary new vegan egg replacer which can be used in recipes like meringues, confectionery, and baked goods. It’s probably in your pantry right now!” www.aquafaba.com
This month’s Recipe Redux asked us to share a recipe with an ingredient that we’ve been wanting to try out. I’ve seen the world “aquafaba” floating around the web, but never really paid much mind to it. I’m not sure why I haven’t tried it yet, but now it is my new favorite ingredient! To replace one egg, use 3 tablespoons of aquafaba. Don’t like the taste of chickpeas and afraid it will ruin your recipe? Don’t worry, it doesn’t have the flavor of chickpeas, or any flavor at all!
I love this cake.
Sometimes happiness is in the form of chocolate!
Recipe inspired by Dr. Axe
- For Chocolate Sheet Cake:
- 1 cup all-purpose gluten free flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 2 cups coconut sugar
- ¾ cup cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup soy milk or milk of your choice
- ½ cup olive oil
- 6 tablespoons aquafaba
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- For Avocado Frosting:
- 2 ripe avocados halved and pitted
- ½ cup cacao powder or cocoa powder
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt
- ¼ cup powdered sugar optional, depending on how sweet you like it!
- To make Chocolate Sheet Cake:
- Grease or spray a 7×11 baking dish with all-natural cooking spray, set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add dry ingredients to a large bowl and stir. Add in wet ingredients and mix with a hand held mixer or stir by hand until light and fluffy.
- Pour batter into baking dish and cook for 30-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Note: Cooking times may vary depending on glass vs metal dish/pan and oven.
- Let cool.
- To make Avocado Frosting:
- Scoop out avocados, place in a food processor and puree. Add cacao powder, maple syrup, melted coconut oil, vanilla, sea salt and blend until well combined scraping down sides as needed. Option to add powdered sugar if needed.
- Frost cake, slice and enjoy 🙂
- First BLW Foods: Ultimate Guide for Baby-Led Weaning - 29 November 2023
- Baby Led Weaning Ideas: Everything about BLW I wish I had known! - 27 November 2023
- Can Babies Eat Jello? Best Age to Start Explained + Recipes - 26 November 2023