Rice Crispy Treats were hands down my favorite dessert growing up. Here is a way healthier and just as yummy treat…made with brown rice, chia seeds and sesame seeds! Chocolate Peanut Butter Brown Rice Crispy Treats, vegan and gluten free!
I had that quintessential 80’s childhood. Many weekends were spent watching My Little Ponies, Care Bears, Strawberry Shortcake, GEM and the Holograms and making “fresh” baked pillsbury cinnamon buns and of course, rice crispy treats! I have so many memories of my sister making them in our avocado green kitchen with orange linoleum floors. I loved helping her dump the whole box of sugary puffed white rice into a large bowl of melted butter and marshmallows.
My healthier recreation brought back all those memories, without the sugar rush! Chia seeds and sesame seeds were added for an extra boost of nutrients. The cacao drizzle is totally optional, but highly recommended! This might be a bold statement, but these are my favorite sweet creation thus far!
- Line a baking dish with parchment paper and set aside. (I used an 11×7 dish)
- In a large bowl, combine rice crisps cereal, sesame seeds and chia seeds.
- Pour peanut butter mixture over brown rice mixture and stir until well combined.
- Transfer to lined baking dish and press down firmly. Option: Drizzle with cacao sauce or melted chocolate.
- Place in freezer until set. Once set, slice using a large knife. Cut into small squares and store in an air-tight container in refrigerator or freezer. (store in freezer if you plan on packing in a lunch box to prevent getting too sticky!)
- To Make Cacao Sauce:
- Whisk together 4 tablespoons of melted coconut oil, 3 tablespoons of cacao powder, 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup and a pinch of sea salt.
- Can Babies Eat Garlic? Benefits & Safety - 23 September 2023
- When Can Babies Have Oatmeal? A Complete Guide - 22 September 2023
- Adrenal Cocktail: Boost Energy, Calm and Nourish the Adrenal Glands! - 20 September 2023