A green smoothie recipe seems fitting for the first day of spring!
Naturally our bodies want to “lighten up” after a winter of consuming heavier foods such as cooked grains and root vegetables. According to Chinese medicine, Spring is the time with the greatest “liver activity.” Which means that spring is the perfect time to detoxify and cleanse since the liver is strongest. The liver supports the digestive tract and elimination process. Many of the first vegetables we see sprouting up in spring are bitter, green leafy vegetables which stimulate the liver and help flush out the GI tract.
These foods include:
- Dandelion greens
If you listen closely to your body you may notice that your appetite changes when the days get longer and the weather gets warmer. If so, follow your body’s cues and choose raw green leafy vegetables and fruits more often. A great way to assist your body in this natural detoxification process is to consume green smoothies for breakfast. This is a great smoothie for transitioning from winter to spring as it contains green leafy vegetables, but it is not too cold to drink on a chilly morning. The cashews create a frothy texture and provide healthy fats for sustained energy.
- Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender.
- Blend until frothy and smooth.
- Enjoy 🙂
- Note: If you don’t have a high-speed blender such as a vitamix, soak the cashews and dates prior to blending. You may also want to use baby spinach instead of kale.
- Can Babies Eat Garlic? Benefits & Safety - 23 September 2023
- When Can Babies Have Oatmeal? A Complete Guide - 22 September 2023
- Adrenal Cocktail: Boost Energy, Calm and Nourish the Adrenal Glands! - 20 September 2023