Oh, that first day of school!
I remember having a lump in my stomach for the entire week before that dreaded first day! While browsing Facebook today I saw all the adorable pictures of my friends and family sending their kids off to school. Seeing those nervous little smiles made all the jitters come back! I can only imagine what I’m going to be like when I have to watch Noah take those two huge steps up the school bus stairs! For all those nervous mammas out there, this is a recipe for you!
There’s nothing like coming home to a warm bowl of risotto to set those jitters at ease! Risotto is the epitome of comfort food in my opinion! My mom found this recipe on www.allrecipes.com and I made a few minor tweaks to create more of a balanced one-pot-meal. I added small white beans for some good old protein and swapped out butter for olive oil (if using butter please use organic butter!). White wine is used in the original recipe, which I left out because I wasn’t sure Noah would like it, but feel free to use it for added flavor!
Surprisingly, this dish cooked up very fast! About 30-40 minutes total, perfect for a quick weeknight meal!
Helpful Hint: Buy pre-chopped butternut squash to save time!
- Pour a few inches of water into a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Add cubed butternut squash, cover and steam until tender. Drain and mash using a fork or potato masher.
- Meanwhile, drizzle olive oil in a large skillet. Over medium-high heat sauté shallot until fragrant. Add rice and sauté (continuously stirring!) for an additional 5 minutes or until the shallot starts to lightly brown.
- If using wine, add and stir until evaporated. Lower heat and add the broth one cup at a time, stirring occasionally until liquid is absorbed by the rice. Add mashed butternut squash and white beans with the remainder of the broth. Cook until rice is tender and risotto is creamy. Season with sea salt and pepper. If using cheese, stir in before serving. Top with fresh parsley and enjoy 🙂
- First BLW Foods: Ultimate Guide for Baby-Led Weaning - 29 November 2023
- Baby Led Weaning Ideas: Everything about BLW I wish I had known! - 27 November 2023
- Can Babies Eat Jello? Best Age to Start Explained + Recipes - 26 November 2023