Blueberry Zucchini Oat Snack Cake or breakfast cake, after dinner with a cup of tea cake…pretty much an anytime type of cake! This cake is both gluten-free and vegan!
I’m reluctant to let go of summer ingredients and move on to fall flavors. While the fall is extremely beautiful in the North East, I’m always going to be a warm weather girl. I try to embrace the crisp air and changing colors, but my enthusiasm never lasts too long! Come November I will be longing for summer days filled with dips in the ponds, fresh fruit, locally grown vegetables and the beach.
With the last of the zucchini and the blueberries I had stashed in the freezer, I came up with a gluten-free and vegan cake perfect for snacking! Oats, flax, zucchini, berries and a crumple topping make for a wholesome old-fashioned cake. I used coconut sugar, which has a slightly sweet flavor. If you do not have coconut sugar feel free to substitute with regular sugar, just note it will make for a sweeter cake. I make my own oat flour in a vitamix, but you can always use store-bought oat flour.
- 2 tablespoons flax meal + 5 tablespoons water
- 1.5 cups grated zucchini
- ¾ cups coconut sugar
- ¼ cup of milk of your choice I used soy milk
- ¼ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1.5 cups all purpose gluten free flour I used bob’s red mill
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup blueberries
- For the crumbled topping:
- ½ cup old fashioned oats
- ½ cup oat flour
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- pinch sea salt
- 2 tablespoons butter I used earth’s balance
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Lightly oil or spray a 8×8 baking pan with all natural cooking spray, set aside.
- In a small bowl make flax eggs by mixing together flax meal and water. Let sit for 10 minutes or until a gel is formed.
- In a large bowl add flax eggs, zucchini, sugar, milk, apple sauce, olive oil and vanilla, stir until well combined. In a separate bowl sift together gluten free flour, oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and sea salt. Combine wet and dry ingredients and fold in blueberries. Pour into 8×8 pan.
- Meanwhile, make crumbled topping by adding oats, oat flour, brown sugar and salt to a bowl. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Evenly spread on top of cake.
- Place in oven and bake for 45-60 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool, cut and enjoy 🙂
- Can Babies Eat Garlic? Benefits & Safety - 23 September 2023
- When Can Babies Have Oatmeal? A Complete Guide - 22 September 2023
- Adrenal Cocktail: Boost Energy, Calm and Nourish the Adrenal Glands! - 20 September 2023