I’m branching out! I’m giving quinoa a break and trying a new grain, black rice!
Black rice is not a very common grain, but lately has been making its way into the mainstream. It’s also known as “Forbidden Rice” because when China was ruled by an emperor, black rice was grown only for the emperor’s consumption. Believe it or not, black rice is healthier than brown rice! It contains more fiber and protein than its counterparts, but that’s not it! Black rice has an extremely high antioxidant level, which is responsible for giving it a deep, rich color similar to that of blueberries or acai berries.
I was inspired to try using black rice after seeing this recipe from bon appetit. I altered the ingredients a bit, but I think it still tasted good! Black rice has a chewier consistency and nuttier flavor than brown rice and is MUCH tastier and healthier than plain old white rice! I’m glad I tried it and will definitely use it again!
- Rinse black rice, color will bleed a little, which is normal.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups of salted water to a boil. Add rice, cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from saucepan and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, steam green beans until tender-crisp and cool.
- Whisk together lemon juice, agave, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, mix together cooled rice, green beans, tomatoes, edamame, pecans and tomatoes.
- Drizzle with dressing, toss to coat and enjoy 🙂
- Can Babies Eat Garlic? Benefits & Safety - 23 September 2023
- When Can Babies Have Oatmeal? A Complete Guide - 22 September 2023
- Adrenal Cocktail: Boost Energy, Calm and Nourish the Adrenal Glands! - 20 September 2023