Here is another recipe that is healthy and cheap!
Healthy eating doesn’t have to be expensive!!! Canned beans can be found for under $1.00 a can or you can make your own for even less! These homemade black bean burgers are not only less expensive than beef, but they are much healthier for you too!
While it would be ideal if everyone ate more vegetarian meals, I know a plant based diet isn’t for all. However, by replacing just one meal a week with a vegetarian option you will decrease your risk of developing diseases such as cancer, heart disease and diabetes.
Also, recent studies found that those who eat a mostly plant-based diet live a longer life! (You can read more here) Not only will your body thank you for eating meat-less meals, but so will the planet! It is estimated that the beef industry is responsible for 1/5 of man-made greenhouse gas emissions. Slow down this trend by trying out these burgers tonight!
BBQ Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burgers
- Fill a medium pot halfway with water and bring to a boil. Add sweet potatoes and cook until tender, drain and let cool.
- In a small skillet, add 1 teaspoon olive oil and place over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until translucent. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a food processor, add black beans and cooled sweet potatoes, pulse a few times until “mashed” but not pureed. Remove from food processor and place in a large bowl.
- Add onion/garlic mixture, flax meal, bbq sauce and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Using your hands, form into burgers. (using about 1/4 – 1/3 of mixture for each burger)
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Place burger in skillet and let cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or crispy and warmed through.
- These burgers can be served on a salad or as a sandwich! Top with avocado, salsa, cheese and/or sprouts, enjoy 🙂
- Best Exercises to Lose Belly Fat & Trim Your Waistline: My Fat Loss Guide (15+ Exercises) - 24 February 2024
- Oat Milk Benefits: 15 IncredibleBenefits From Heart Health to Glowing Skin - 20 February 2024
- Apple Cider Vinegar and Cranberry Juice: The Detox Drink for Accelerated Weight Loss - 17 February 2024