With fresh basil flourishing in the gardens and tomato season soon upon us, I thought this would be a fitting recipe to share!
To top it all off, I added a drizzle of sweet balsamic reduction sauce…
Since I have SO much kale growing in the garden I served it on top of shredded Russian Kale however, you can serve on top of Romaine lettuce instead. Of course, you can include fresh mozzarella for a vegetarian dish.
This salad screams summertime!
The smell of fresh basil gets me every time!
It would make the perfect starter to a summer feast or could be served alone as a light and refreshing meal!
- For the Pesto Vinaigrette:
- 1 cup fresh basil
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 small clove of garlic
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- For the Balsamic Reduction Sauce:
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- For the Avocado Caprese Salad:
- 2 cups shredded greens kale or romaine lettuce
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 large tomato sliced
- pine nuts for garnish
- To make Pesto Vinaigrette:
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until creamy adding sea salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- To make the Balsamic Reduction Sauce:
- Place balsamic vinegar and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat. Bring to a boil and reduce heat, let simmer until sauce is reduced by half (around 15-20 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside.
- To make Avocado Caprese Salad:
- Assemble sliced tomatoes and avocados on top of a bed of greens. Drizzle with pesto vinaigrette and balsamic reduction sauce. Garnish with pine nuts and enjoy 🙂
- First BLW Foods: Ultimate Guide for Baby-Led Weaning - 29 November 2023
- Baby Led Weaning Ideas: Everything about BLW I wish I had known! - 27 November 2023
- Can Babies Eat Jello? Best Age to Start Explained + Recipes - 26 November 2023