chocolate chia pumpkin muffins
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds + 6 tablespoons warm water
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup pumpkin (home cooked or canned)
- ¼ cup soy milk or almond milk
- ¼-1/2 cup pure maple syrup (depending on how sweet you like them!)
- 1¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅓ cup mini-chocolate chips (I used enjoy life chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray or line 2 mini-muffin tin and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together chia seeds and warm water. Set aside for 10 minutes or until a gel is formed.
- In a blender or bowl with a hand-held mixer, blend together chia gel, olive oil, pumpkin, milk and maple syrup until well combined.
- In a large bowl, sift whole wheat pastry flour, salt, baking soda and spices.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and gently stir until just combined (don't over stir!). Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin tins ¾ way full and bake for 10-15 minutes (20-25 if using a regular sized muffin tin) or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool and enjoy!
Recipe by BeginWithin Nutrition at http://www.beginwithinnutrition.com/2014/10/23/chocolate-chia-pumpkin-muffins/