sweet potato and peanut stew ~vegan, gluten free~
Recipe type: Main
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 large handfuls of baby spinach leaves
- 2 cups frozen peas
- sea salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook until translucent, add the garlic and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add ginger, red pepper flakes, cumin, cinnamon and sauté for a few minutes, until fragrant.
- Add crushed tomatoes and peanut butter, stir until well combined.
- Add broth, sweet potatoes and carrots. Bring to a boil, turn down heat, cover pot and simmer until sweet potatoes are tender, around 20 minutes.
- When sweet potatoes are cooked, add chickpeas, peas, spinach and cook until spinach is wilted. Season with sea salt to taste.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Recipe by BeginWithin Nutrition at http://www.beginwithinnutrition.com/2014/06/09/sweet-potato-peanut-stew-vegan-gluten-free/