American chop suey ~vegan, gf~
Recipe type: Main
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup tomato paste (preferably organic)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup red lentils
- ⅛-1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda (optional)
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped onion and sauté until cooked down and translucent. Add minced garlic and sauté for a few more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato paste, broth, lentils and crushed red pepper flakes. Bring to a light boil, turn heat down, cover and simmer on low until lentils are soft, around 20 minutes.
- Add a pinch of baking soda and flavor with sea salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook macaroni according to package. Drain and add to sauce.
Recipe by BeginWithin Nutrition at http://www.beginwithinnutrition.com/2014/04/28/american-chop-suey-vegan-gf/