Pasta Salad with Cilantro Vinaigrette, guess I’m on a cilantro kick!
I’m sorry to all you non-cilantro lovers out there! It’s just the perfect summer herb and it’s easy to grow!
The other day I received a call from the maternity nurse at the hospital, just checking in on how I was feeling postpartum. After a series of questions we came to the conclusion that my energy levels are pretty low in the evenings. She recommended I get more sleep (um, I wish! But with a 3 week old and a 3 year old that’s just not going to happen!) and combining carbohydrates and protein for sustained energy. Our conversation brought light to the fact that I am eating enough calories, carbs and protein, but not together. I grab a piece of fruit here, a piece of toast there and with Shaye working most nights I often skip dinner completely…not enough balance going on in my day and I’m paying for it! Even dietitians need reminders on basic healthy eating!
For a quick fix I made this pasta salad, which combines carbohydrates from the pasta and protein from the chickpeas. I tossed in arugula and tomatoes for a dose of fresh veggies!
- For cilantro vinaigrette:
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup orange juice
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 12 oz. pasta of your choice (I used gluten free pasta)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups chickpeas
- 2 cups corn (fresh, frozen or canned)
- 4 cups arugula
- To make cilantro vinaigrette:
- Add cilantro, garlic, olive oil, lime juice and orange juice to a food processor. Pulse until well combined. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to instructions. Toss with olive oil and let cool.
- Once pasta is cooled, add tomatoes, chickpeas, corn and arugula. Drizzle with cilantro vinaigrette, toss to coat and enjoy!
Cilantro vinaigrette recipe adapted from Eating Well
This recipe makes a large amount, I will be eating it for a few days! It would also make a great side dish for a summertime pot-luck supper!