Disclosure: I was asked to participate in the California Raisins. Sweet. Naturally. campaign as a member of the Healthy Aperture Blogger Network. I received free samples of the California Raisins used in the post and I was compensated for my time.
Here is a healthy and delicious “quick meal” to have ready when hunger strikes! Orange Scented Couscous with Golden California Raisins! Bursting with flavor and a hint of sweetness from California Raisins!
California Raisins are an all-natural, dried-by-the-sun fruit you can feel good about sending with your kids as they head back to school, or as an after-school snack, or to beat that 3pm craving. The ingredient list says it all: Raisins
Whether you need a pick-me-up in the late afternoon or a quick grab-and-go meal for a lunch box or busy work day, here is your solution! You all know how much I like “quick meals!” When you keep your refrigerator stocked with healthy food, you will eat healthy meals! The same theory goes for snacks, especially after school or after work snacks! I know the feeling of coming home starving after a long day and grabbing the first thing I see! This recipe is so simple to make and has loads of fiber from California Raisins, which will keep you full for longer!
In fact, research suggests that among children, eating raisins as an after-school snack may prevent excessive calorie intake and may increase satiety (or feeling full) when compared to other common snacks, including cookies and chips.
(Source: Bellissimo, N., et. al., An After-School Snack Reduces Subjective Appetite and Energy Intake and Increase Satiety in Normal Weight Children. Poster session presented at: Canadian Nutrition Society Annual Meeting; 2012 May 23-25; Vancouver, British Columbia.)
My favorite way to store snacks and on-the-go meals is in mini-mason or ball jars. The perfect portion, packed and ready to go!
For a gluten-free version, substitute the quinoa in place of the Israeli couscous!
- 2 cups Israeli Couscous
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1¼ cup water
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (optional)
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 cup Golden California Raisins
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- In a medium saucepan, bring orange juice and water to a boil. Add couscous, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until water has evaporated and couscous is tender. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, add olive oil to a skillet over medium heat. Add shallot and sauté until fragrant, add cinnamon, cumin, salt and pepper. Saute until shallot is golden. Pour on top of cooked couscous, stir until well combined. Let cool.
- Once couscous is cooled, add orange zest, scallions, California Raisins and almonds. Mix well, adjust salt and pepper as needed. Enjoy!
Visit www.loveyourraisins.com for more information about California Raisins and find us on Facebook at Facebook.com/californiaraisins where you can sign up to receive a California Raisins prize pack! Limited supply; while quantities last!