I know what you’re thinking…gross, brownies made with black beans!!!!
Have I lost my mind???
No, I haven’t lost my mind! I thought the same thing, gross!
But, don’t knock it until you try it! These are SO good…gooey, chocolatey, fudgy brownies!!!
And, they’re pretty darn healthy for you too! Vegan, gluten free, low-sugar and high in fiber, protein and omega 3’s! I can honestly say I may never go back to making brownies any other way!
I have been wanting to make black bean brownies for a while but, I was too afraid to experiment on my own. So, I borrowed this recipe from www.minimalistbaker.com
Black Bean Brownies
1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 large flax eggs (2.5 tablespoons ground flaxseeds + 6 tablespoons water)
3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted (or sub any other oil of choice)
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
heaping 1/2 cup raw sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
optional toppings: walnuts, pecans or chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Lightly grease a muffin pan (I used spray coconut oil)
3. Prepare flax egg by combining flax and water in the food processor and pulsing a few times…let rest for a few minutes.
4. Add remaining ingredients (minus toppings) to the food processor and puree for about 3 minutes, occasionally scrapping down edges. You want a very smooth consistency, similar to chocolate frosting. If batter is too thick, add a tablespoon of water at at time….but, do not make it too runny!!!
5. Evenly distribute batter into muffin tin and add optional toppings.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until tops are dry and edges pull away from the side of the pan.
7. Remove from oven and let cool for 30 minutes. Gently take brownies out of the muffin tin with a fork. They are very fudgy in the insides, that’s the point! Don’t worry about them being undercooked, they’re vegan!
8. Store in an air tight container.
The original recipe recommended that you pulse the raw sugar in a food processor to create a very fine texture. I skipped this step and they still came out delicious!
You’re supposed to get 12 brownies however, I only got 9. I must have ate too much of the batter, whoops!
These would taste even better with a scoop of vegan chocolate peanut butter banana ice cream!
Make your weekend even sweeter with a batch of these